Friday 3 July 2020

THE MEDALS OF SQUADRON LEADER STANISLAW JOZEF ZUREK



It has come to my attention that the medals of Squadron Leader Stanislaw Jozef Zurek have been sold in recent months.  This would not normally grab my attention as my primary interest is in researching and writing about the lives and military history of the former members of 304 Squadron.  This being the case, I have done a piece on Squadron Leader Zurek.

I have recently been contacted by his son, Dr Andrew Zurek, who has complained to Spink - who auctioned these medals a few months ago - about the fact that they could not have auctioned the medals as they are still in his possession.  As a result of the alleged auction, his family in Poland are very upset that he has sold off the medals and this has caused considerable distress to Dr Zurek and significant tensions within the family.

Spink have not taken any appropriate action other than to alter their original sales blurb to state that a numbered VM and other copies of the medals were held by a family member.  Bolting the stable door long after the medals were sold and the horses bolted.  I can understand the anger of Dr Zurek but I am also concerned that this site and Krzysteks List were named as the sources they used and he should take it up with us if he has any further complaints.  This implies that we had some hand in identifying the medals - which we most certainly did not.  In addition, the buyer will not even know that the medals he/she bought are in dispute.

The medals sold by Spink were missing the two bars on the Cross of Valour and the Virtuti Militari did not bear any number.  The Virtuti Militari awarded to Squadron Leader Zurek bore the number 8446 and that detail was very easy to check.  Dr Zurek has the correctly numbered Virtuti Militari awarded to his father and the correct Cross of Valour with two bars on the ribbon.  He also has the correct  Most Excellent Order of the British Empire awarded to his father.  From this, I conclude that the auctioned medals could not be the real thing.

Whilst I am flattered that Spink used my research material, I would like to make it very clear to everyone that no matter how much of my material is used for any purpose, I do not work for any auction house or any other organisation whatsoever and I do not have any part in verifying medals for them or anyone else.  I also believe that the medals in Dr Zurek's possession are the genuine article and that Spink should acknowledge this fact.

No comments: